Friday 23 December 2011

ginger snap goodness

I may bombard you all with a few new posts today as my internet has been down for 3 days! 3!!! In case you were wondering I was starting to develop a twitch! ;-) Anywhoo...

The Christmas season brings with it holiday baking and I couldn’t be happier about that! My absolute favourites include ginger snaps, my beautiful girlfriend Annie’s shortbread cookies, nuts ‘n bolts, gingerbread cake, peanut brittle, caramel popcorn and fudge. I’m pretty sure I could sit here all day and list treats that sabotage my waist line. I wanted to share my number one pick- gingersnaps. They need to be chewy, they need to be cracked on top and they’re always better when you roll them in sugar. They make the perfect little gift and they go fantastic with a cup of your favourite coffee. (Or tea if that’s how you roll)




Chewy Gingersnaps

¾ cup margarine or butter (make sure it’s nice & soft)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour sifted (do it- sift it- it does make a difference)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cloves
½ tsp salt
Additional sugar for rolling



*Combine the dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves & salt. Set aside

*In large mixing bowl, combine margarine and sugar, cream until light and fluffy.

*Add the egg, molasses & vanilla. Mix well

*Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture, mix well.

*Roll dough into balls (1” is just about the perfect size), roll balls in the additional sugar and place on to an ungreased cookie sheet

*Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Depending on your oven they may need longer than 8 minutes. Do not overcook; you’ll lose the chewy goodness!

Enjoy!
xo

No comments: