Monday 19 January 2015

Jasper: a step towards self care


I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to explore self care, put myself on top of the to do list. I was sitting on the living room floor one day and I decided on a whim to do just that and I booked a weekend away in Jasper. Fresh air, mountains, sunshine, no chores, no work, no guilt about not doing the latter two. It was perfect and exactly what I needed. What we all seemed to need. To just relax. To feel happy inside my sadness. To nap. To soak in a hot tub. To drink wine. To be outside. To think about my Dad. To pray for my Mom. To order dessert. To be grateful. 
We attended Winterstruck on Saturday and took part in a bunch of winter activities. Anna skated for the first time on the most beautiful rink. (she did get a little upset she couldn't do spins like Dora... lol) I skated for the first time in over 20 years. We took a sleigh ride and listen to stories about the horses, Peter & Nick. The driver reminded me of my Dad so much and it made me want to spend the day with him and just listen. We curled with wood rocks. We rolled maple taffy on snow. We drank hot chocolate. It was so so wonderful. Seriously- this view, breathtaking! 







Thank you Jasper. Thank you.

2 comments:

Formerly.Lisa.S. said...

Yay! You have inspired me to stop making excuses and book myself a "girl's weekend". Which just means I sleep on Nicole's floor and we drink beer and Ian makes us meat & cheese trays.

I wanna skate on that lake!!!!!

Kathleen Ruelling said...

Your posts are heartwarming, my pen pal - what a perfect getaway! We are lucky to live so close to such beauty - I think our family could use some Jasper therapy, too.
Hugs to you.