Tuesday 11 February 2014

DIY Pillows


I made these pillows with Valentine's in mind but will be keeping them out on the couch much past February 14th. 
To create these pillows I used my Silhouette Cameo (which we sell at Treasured Memories) to cut out the statement and the heart stencil. The "love you more" pillow is made with heat transfer vinyl. I cut out the phrase and then ironed it on. For the heart pillow I cut out a large heart from cardstock, added double sided tape to the back of the heart and stuck it down to my pillow case (it peels away with the paper and did not leave any residue). I then covered any part of the pillow case that was still showing with scraps of paper to protect the case. I sprayed in the heart space with a spray adhesive and then sprinkled red glitter all over the surface. Warning- this one is messy, glitter everywhere messy. It's hard to tell in the photo but the glitter is awesome! I could have gone heavier in some spots with the glitter but think that I didn't have enough adhesive in those spaces where it isn't as thick- something to remember for the next time I get the urge to go crazy with the glitter. As for durability and longevity- I won't be able to wash this glitter pillow- not too worried. Can you sit against it? Yes.. but you will leave a little bit sparklier than when you came. This one is a decor piece, not for sleeping on. The phrase pillow should be fine in the wash and the vinyl doesn't rub off so you can use this one as you would any other pillow. 
I have a thing for DIY pillows, maybe because I am too cheap frugal to buy fancy pillow cases but whatever the case I love these two and don't mind glitter all over my house. Everything is better with a little glitter!


FIY: if you don't have a die cutting machine the heart pillow is still something you could create by simply hand cutting a heart stencil and following the rest of the directions above

1 comment:

Formerly.Lisa.S. said...

GLITTER!! Those are amazing. Kudos!