At the beginning of August we went out to a local farm and picked raspberries. Row after row as far as you could see. It is really quite beautiful. Cory & I love raspberries and we love to go out and pick but the thing about picking your own is that they do not keep for very long so they need to be used as soon as possible.
Enter excuse to make cake!
I knew I wanted to make a layered cake and have cream cheese icing and then I thought about the Starbucks' lemon raspberry loaf and knew I had to have lemon in my cake. I made a quick stop at the grocery store and then straight home to get my bake on!
They best part about this cake (other than the delicious factor) is that it is soooo easy!
1 box vanilla cake mix
2 round pans
fresh raspberries (other berries would also be perfectly delicious too)
Cream Cheese Icing (recipe here)
zest from one lemon
- make cake according to directions in two round pans, cool completely
- make icing according to recipe, add the lemon zest into the icing after half of the icing sugar has been used. Blend to combine, add the rest of the icing sugar. For a stronger lemon taste, add in a small amount to the fresh squeezed juice. Tip: If you add too much and your icing is watery- add more icing sugar
- cut each cake in half and set aside until ready to layer
- lay one piece of cake onto your cake stand or plate, top with icing, add berries (20-30)
- repeat until the last piece of cake is put into place
- ice the top and then add a cluster of berries to the top
- step back & admire your mad skills
- cut cake
- eat cake