Wednesday 6 February 2013

cream of potato & cheddar soup

I love to cook, I would love to take classes but until then I play around in my own kitchen. This is a soup that I make on blustery days or when I'm craving soup & sandwiches. I found a bunch of recipes online and then took elements from each of them and created my own version. I needed it to be vegetarian, not high fat but still creamy and delicious. FYI: You could skip the milk and cheese all together if you need a dairy free version- the potatoes are what give this soup it's creamy texture. I also try adding different herbs and spices to change the flavour. Essentially, play around and find what works for you and your taste buds.
Bon Appetite!


Cream of Potato & Cheddar Soup
1/2 Onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 tbsp butter
4 large potatoes, diced
1 carton vegetable broth 
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
optional: cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
3/4 cup milk
1 cup old cheddar (the more flavour the better)
additional cheddar to garnish
parsley
hot sauce

1. Sauté your onions in the butter until translucent, add in the celery and carrots & sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add in your potatoes
3. Cover with broth, add in additional broth or water if necessary to cover your vegetables (I prefer broth if needed)
4. Add in herbs and spices
5. Cook until all vegetables are soft
6. Remove from heat and blend until smooth (lumps are fine and common in potato soups)
7. Return to low heat, add in milk, stir 
8. Add in cheese, stir until melted
9. Serve topped with cheddar, parsley and if you like- hot sauce
10. Make it even better by dipping a grilled cheese in it :)


4 comments:

Formerly.Lisa.S. said...

Oh man, that sounds so yummy! I would make that for myself any day...the boys don't eat soup (what is WRONG with them?!). Well, that's a lie. Dude eats Campbell's vegetable soup. Y'know, the one with the alphabet noodles. So I went and made some soup that TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME, but he won't eat it. Boo.

Candace said...

yum!
Just so you know I had to type midencep 4844 to post this one word. I am not a ROBOT!

Anonymous said...

whoa!!!! that looks SO yummy!Going to have to try it, thanks for sharing that Nadiney. You rock!!
Amanda
:)

Teresa said...

OH! Yum!

My new scrappy friend works at the Calgary Atco Blue Flame Kitchen and raves about the Lunch'n Learn they have. Edm has these to so check out:http://www.atcoblueflamekitchen.com/Classes/